Sunday, July 5, 2015

Misconceptions: A new series here at Canyehead




What is a misconception?  The word is defined as "a view or opinion that is incorrect because it is based on faulty thinking or understanding." Misconceptions can occur because an individual was fed or taught misinformation.  Information that was not based in fact.  When it comes to God and things of God, we have two sources for accurate, true information:  The Bible and the Holy Spirit.  

The Bible is the inspired (by the Holy Spirit) Word of God that was revealed and dictated to 40 different writers over a 1600 year time-span.  It was originally written in three languages and upon 3 continents. The Bible has God for it's author, salvation for it's end and Truth, without any mixture or error, for it's matter.  The 66 books of the Bible were brought together, for the first time, over 200 years after the last book, Revelations, was written by the Apostle John.  God orchestrated both the writing of these books over this great span of time, and the bringing together of the books into one Word. 

No one writer knew of all the others, nor ever had the chance to read all of the others, contributing to it's incorruptibility and it's purity.  It has been translated into most every language known to man, to ease the understanding of the reader.  Many, with circumspect carefulness have rendered various English translations simply to attempt to get the word back into the vernacular of the people, like it was originally written, instead of the stilted English of King James' England.  And, sadly, some have made tragic honest mistakes in their translation. These usually get corrected or soon go out of publication. Others have purposefully ignored God's own warning regarding His Word and altered it to fit their agenda or support their cult beliefs. 

Revelation 22
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.  -KJV
They will answer to Almighty God for those they have misled.   

There has been so much misconception displayed of late, regarding the Word of God and God Himself, that I humbly feel called to share a series of posts here addressing many of these same misconceptions that I have encountered personally.  

I ask you to journey with me through this series.  To read, reflect and ponder.  And I ask you, that if you only know the Bible by quotes you've seen or what people have told you, that you will read some long established version for yourself.  That if you have never read the Whole Word of God that you will commit to read it in it's entirety before this year is out.  

There is lot to consider for serious, in depth Bible study.  Regarding each book:  who the original audience was, what was the culture and history of the time each was written in, for two examples. These things are for intellectual knowledge and understanding.  For spiritual insight and understanding, one only need approach the reading with an open mind and heart.  For any time one does so sincerely, The Holy Spirit will be there with you as you read highlighting what God would have you know of Himself, to see yourself as God sees you and what response God is seeking from you.

Are you willing to join me in this series?  Does your Bible have dust on it?  Have you ever read the Bible all the way through? 



Much of the description of the Bible comes from the work of  Henrietta C. Mears.


  

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great series, Barbara! Looking forward to reading it :) I have read the Bible through several times and continue to read it at least 5 times a week (lately I've seemed to miss the weekends, got to get back on that schedule of reading it daily.). It is such a relevant book no matter how old it; so much wisdom in it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone waxes and wanes regarding how much they read and exactly how often. I know when I was a stay at home mom, I'd often spend an hour or two every day in Bible study. Now that I work away from home each day, a few verses in the morning is usually all I get.

      Delete
  2. I am amazed at how some people liberally and and take away words from the Bible. Well, they're the ones who will have to give account of themselves on that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! Sounds like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! Yes, I have read the entire Bible although I haven't always understood it. I do believe it's as true now as when it was written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too, Alex. I suppose there are things in the Bible we won't understand fully until we get to Heaven. I know myself, and I've heard many others say, that they can read the same passages many times over on different occasions and take away something new and fresh from it. I've heard it likened to peeling the layers off of an onion.

      Delete
  5. Should be a very interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. My hope is to explain some things to people who aren't Christian and to get some Christians to look a little deeper at what they believe.

      Delete
  6. Ought to be an interesting series, especially with the historical tidbits.

    I've read through the whole Bible a few times over the years. But with how big it is, there's always something you miss at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! God speaks to our hearts in new and fresh ways each time we read in His Word.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting series; looking forward to it! Yes, i have read the Bible through several times. The first was with Dailyaudiobible.com which was great! And last year i read it through chronologically along with a fb grouo at keithferrin.com. Was so worth it, to read the Bible as a narrative. It was neat to see how all the books fit together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I enjoyed reading it through chronologically very much! It helped to make so many things fit together in my mind.

      Delete
  8. my dear friend you said very well all words are very perfect.

    Spartagen XT

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by! Come 'round any time. ~ Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...